Sunday 11 April 2010


Well Jack and I are now about three weeks into our Big Train. Sit, down and wait are progressing satisfactorily and even Stays! are begining to happen more reliably. HOWEVER. Heel work is a disaster. To be more accurate the aim is to get your dog to walk nicely on a loose lead. My hands are blistered with the effort I require to hold him closely. A loose lead it is NOT. At our second class we attempted a Recall. To practice this, the trainer holds your dog, up one end of a large hall; when the owner is ready she releases the beast and the owner calls the dog to them. Well I was reasonably confident that Jack would come back to me. He did! but what happened then caused me great embarrassment and the rest of the class great amusement! Jack was caught but he partook in a spot of Bully running. If no one has witnessed this spectacle it is amusing, but can be alarming at the same time. Bull terriers sometime just take off at great speed and run in random patterns at full speed bouncing off anything that gets in their way. (This does appear to be a Bull terrier trait) Well Jacks ears went back (A sign of trouble to come) and his tail started gyrating at great speed (another sign of potential trouble) However I caught him and did my best to hold onto him (by sitting on him)whilst he spun on the floor in his efforts to run and my efforts to put his lead back on. A class mate described it as dog wrestling and very funny. Restraining a very strong dog who has decided he needs to run is no mean feat. Next week I am going to take Jack for a long walk before the class. Just maybe he will have spent some of that energy before he gets to class. Wish us luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment